Produce Sale is an ongoing series. What happens is I go to the grocery store or the farmer’s market and find vegetables or fruit that are on sale or super cheap and regardless of whether I have ever cooked with it before, I buy it and find a recipe for it.
Target had Fuji apples on sale. I like apples, why not? And these were super delicious and easy to make. I will be having another one some time this week.
As we all know I adore my granola. I am almost out, so I need to make more! My granola worked really well in this. I was a little concerned because it does not have typical apple spices in it, but no worries. It was fabulous!!
My roommate ate the other apple and loved it. Yummy success!!
This fall I will make these all the time. Have the filling pre-made and then just core an apple. I did not have an apple corer. I highly recommend one, but you can do it with out it!
Baked Breakfast Apples
This recipe is slightly adapted from Macheesmo.
- 2 good baking apples
- 1/3 cup granola
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 cup water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix up the granola, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
3. Core the apples with an apple corer or a paring knife and a spoon. Cut a good sized whole in the stem side of the apple.
4. Take a spoon and scrape out the bottom and edges until there are no more seeds left.
5. Fill the apples with the granola mixture and put on a baking dish with 1 cup of water in the bottom. Next place the butter on top of each apple. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Let cool for a few minutes and then serve!!