I am a huge Harry Potter fan. So when my friend said she found a recipe for Butterbeer and Cauldron Cakes (coming in a few days) we HAD to try them.
They are super sweet and absolutely delicious. I love them! The original recipe was not alcoholic so if you don’t want alcohol or if your making it for kids, just cut it out. I do think the schnapps sets off the sweet nicely. And I just like butterscotch schnapps.
If you are a Harry Potter fan. The Pastry Affair did a mini-series on food inspired by the books. It is really awesome and I totally recommend looking it over and making some of the amazing treats!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 4 12-ounce bottles cream soda, chilled
- 1 cup butterscotch schnapps
1. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar with 2 tbsp water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer, stirring occasionally. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, bring to a gentle boil and turn off the heat after about a minute of cooking.
2. Turn off the heat and add the butter, salt, vinegar, and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Stir until smooth. Cool mixture to room temperature before using.
3. In a medium bowl, beat together the remaining cream (1/2 cup) with 2 tbsp of brown sugar syrup.
4. In each glass mix together 1/4 cup brown sugar syrup with 1/4 cup cream soda. Add 1/4 cup butterscotch schnapps to each glass. Pour int the rest of the cream soda until it is nearly to the brim of the glass. Top with whipped brown sugar cream.