I know, buttered noodles, you already know how to cook this and it is not that interesting. But believe me adding roasted cauliflower makes a huge difference. Plain buttered noodles are my favorite comfort food, but adding roasted cauliflower makes this a dish I would serve to friends and family when they visit.
And the whole wheat noodles add a really nice nuttiness to the dish. Please, just try it one night. You won’t be disappointed. Roasting the cauliflower takes a little time, so put it in the oven and then watch TV or read a book or clean your bathroom, whatever floats your boat.
Buttered Noodles with Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 head of cauliflower, stemmed, green leaves removed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 14 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 8 tablespoons melted, unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut the cauliflower head lengthwise into 4 approx equal parts.
3. In a large mixing bowl, toss each quarter individually with the olive oil. Transfer that first quarter to a 9 by 13 inch rimmed baking sheet, and repeat. Season generously with salt and pepper, and place each quarter cut side down.
4. Start roasting. About 20 minutes into the cooking process, flip the cauliflower-head quarters so that the other cut side rests on the baking sheet. Roast another 15 to 20 minutes, until all cut sides are browned at the edges and the florets have begun to brown.
5. Next boil water and cook the noodles. Strain noodles. Next add butter and cheese and cauliflower.
This recipe is from Poor Girl Gourmet by Amy Rehoboth.