This is like a slice of heaven! No joke. Please try this!
I saw this recipe on Lottie and Doof a while ago and thought it looked magnificent and that I should try it and I finally found the time to make it.
It is super simple to make. All you do is mix up the cornbread, put it in the pan, next pour cream on top of the already really runny batter- DO NOT STIR! Bake. And when you take it out there is this beautiful layer of custard in the cornbread!?! How it gets there I don’t know, but it is crazy cool!
This is the perfect morning dish that requires very little effort. Please go treat yourself to this and then tell me how it works out.
Oh and I had to guard this like nothing before! Pippi kept trying to steal a taste of it! While mixing it up she finally got so bad, I shut her in my room so I could turn away from the batter without worrying she was getting at it.
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 9-inch round cake pan that is about 2-inches deep. Put the buttered dish or pan in the oven and let it get hot while you mix the batter.
2. Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and add the melted butter. Beat until the mixture is well blended. Add the sugar, salt, milk, and vinegar and beat well. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, mix thoroughly.
3. Pour the batter into the heated dish, then pour the cream into the center of the batter—don’t stir. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm with maple syrup.
This recipe is from Lottie + Doof.