This was an amazingly yummy meal!! I went over to my friend Brenda’s apartment and she likes squash, so we found a squash recipe to experiment with. The squash recipe will be coming soon, but for now the sides! The refried black beans and the rice.
The rice is really citrus-y. With the squash and black beans it has a nice refreshing taste, however I would not eat the rice on its own.
It was such a great dinner! Brenda is a visual artist too, so she has a really good eye and we had a lot of fun creating all the photos!
For the beans, the original recipe says to use the juices. Brenda told me that the juices are what causes the worst flatulence. Therefore, we drained the beans and just added water. I hope you like these recipes!!
Parsley Lime Rice
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice, cooked
- 1 small lime, zested and juiced
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
Mix everything together.
Refried Black Beans
- olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 can cooked black beans
- 1/3 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add the cumin and stir for a minute.
2. Strain the black beans and rinse. Next add them to the pan. Add water as necessary.
3. Turn up the heat to medium-high and simmer the beans fro 7 to 10 minutes. Use a fork or the back of a wooden spoon to mash up some of the beans. Add more water if the mixture seems too dry. Add the roasted red peppers, stir, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Both of these recipes are adapted from Cookie + Kate.