We finally found winter. I had to shovel this morning. The snow was so heavy and wet. Oh well, everything looks really beautiful. I am hoping to post some pictures of the snow globe I now live in.
A warm cup of chai is exactly what the doctor ordered, for days like today! I really like this drink! I gave it as a present for Christmas and now I made some to give to my friend who helps me with Pippi when I have to work too many hours in a row.
This recipe is slightly adapted from Munchin with Munchkin.
- 5 cups water
- 10 bags of black tea, I used Darjeeling
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 whole cloves
- 9 cardamon pods
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 8 corriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 inch piece of ginger, sliced into discs
- 1 tablespoon of honey
1. In a large pot, bring water to a rapid boil. Add all the ingredients except for the honey. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Take off heat and stir in the honey. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Line a strainer with cheesecloth and strain the concentrate. Discard spices.
4. Store concentrate in a seal-able container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
To make Chai tea combine 1/3 cup concentrate with warm milk. I normally use about 1 part concentrate to 2 parts milk.