We ate this salad at the St. Paddy’s dinner. The meal really needed this salad. We had three dishes with potatoes. We needed something lighter and that had a few nutrients in it. 😉
Classic Irish Salad
My friend Kelzee found and made this recipe. It is slightly adapted from The New York Times.
- 2 medium beets
- 2 small heads bibb lettuce
- 2 bunches watercress
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons herb infused white vinegar (or to taste)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 dozen eggs, boiled for two minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped chervil leaves
1. Place the beets in a saucepan with water to cover and simmer for one hour or until tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool in the liquid. Peel and julienne.
2. Break up the heads of bibb lettuce, leaving the leaves whole. Wash and dry. Cut the stems from the watercress; wash and dry the leaves.
3. Make the dressing. Mix the creme fraiche, parsley, olive oil and vinegar together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Peel the eggs and cut in half. Mix everything together and serve.