OMG my dad and I made that!! How cool!! This is a layered checkerboard cake!! Cross off one of my 100!
The checkerboard is made by a mold, which I have yet to master, HOWEVER do you see the checkerboard!?! Cuz I do!! Ok so I was really excited when it worked. I think it tasted great. The black cake is just plain old chocolate cake, the white cake is a coconut cake, the frosting is a raspberry buttercream.
My dad and I are going to experiment some more until we find the ultimate checkerboard cake and this was a great first try. We need to work on the frosting, the frosting was not quite what I wanted. Also, we need to make the cakes flatter, so that we have angles and not just blobs.
I will add the frosting recipe in another post. This is a lot of information.
This recipe is adapted from Kiss My Bundt by Chrysta Wilson.
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
To Make the Cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease the pans.
2. Mix together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Beat together the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients slowly. Once thoroughly combined add the boiling water. Set aside
4. Mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
5. Beat butter, slowly add the sugar. Next add the eggs, one at a time. Set aside.
6. In a new bowl mix vanilla extract and the two milks together.
7. Next beginning and ending with the flour, mis 1/3 of the flour into the wet ingredients, then 1/2 of the milk, alternating until all ingredients are mixed.
8. Fill the pans using the mold to separate the batters.
9. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Let cool in pan.