This is my favorite way to drink coffee! You make it once, it makes a huge batch and then you take a little out of your freezer every day. It is so simple!!
I just put the shaved ice in that mug with milk, that is why the milk is so white and the coffee is still very chunky. The coffee starts to melt. I recommend making sure the shaved ice is not in big chunks before you put it in your milk, otherwise they will not melt and you will have a huge chunk of coffee.
This is adapted from Poor Girl Gourmet.
- 1 1/2 cups coffee or espresso
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1. Combine coffee, water, sugar and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Whisk vigorously until all the sugar dissolves.
2. Next pour the coffee mixture into a 9 x 13 inch freezer safe pan and freeze. Once it is completely frozen, a few hours, scrape all of the mixture with a fork. Scrape all of it and make sure to break up all the big pieces. It will be easier to eat/drink if it is more like shaved ice than ice cubes.
3. Return it to the freezer for an hour, and then serve it either as shaved ice or, my personal favorite, add milk and/or cream and make a yummy coffee shop-style drink.