I have decided I want to have a book update. I want to talk with ya’ll about books, since I might cook out of them. This all relates some how. Not to mention you can give me ideas for new books to read and we can talk about books we have both read. This will be fun!!
- Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Kaling, Mindy – I really enjoyed this. I am not a huge Office fan, so I was unsure how I would like the book of one of its writers.
- Fire by Cashore, Kristin – I read her first book Graceling and I really like the way Cashore writes about transition and the way people feel about those transition. She writes about growth and specifically female growth really well. She captures the little nuances that make characters really robust. I highly recommend both books.
- Cairo by Wilson, G. Willow – I am trying to get into graphic novels. This has magical realism in it and is from a Muslim perspective. Very interesting.
- White Tiger: A Hero’s Compulsion by Pierce, Tamora – I guess this would be called a comic. I really like Pierce’s writing, which is why I picked it up. I enjoyed it, however I am not a huge superhero fan. So it was not amazing to me. Cool though.
- Tortall and Other Lands by Pierce, Tamora – I loved these short stories. She fleshes out characters that are only side characters in some of her books. I recommend this to any Tamora Pierce fans.
- Annie on My Mind by Garden, Nancy – I had trouble with this book. Let’s start by saying it was written in the 90’s and I guess 90’s lesbian literature is about how hard it is to be a lesbian. Some reviews say it is groundbreaking. I would not go that far, but it is teen lit that deals with homosexuality. Maybe I am just being overly critical. I would not recommend this book though. There are better books that have been written since then.
To Be Read:
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Rawls, Wilson
- The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Diaz, Junot
- A Walk in My World: International Short Stories about Youth edited by Mazer, Anne
- The Color of Magic by Pratchett, Terry
- Jane Eyre by Bronte, Charlotte
- The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Doyle, Arthur Conan
- The Space Between Us by Umrigar, Thirty
- The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories by Gilman, Charlotte Perkins
- Orlando by Woolf, Virginia
- Tropic of Orange by Yamashita, Karen Tei
- The Turn of the Screw by James, Henry
- The Other Side of Paradise by Chin, Stacyann
- Bitter Sweets by Farooki, Roopa
- Firebirds edited by November, Sharyn
- The Ice Princess by Lackberg, Camilla
- Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Flagg, Fannie
- Helen Keller: The Story of My Life by Keller, Helen
- Like Water for Chocolate by Esquivel, Laura
- The Fortune Cookie Chronicles by Lee, Jennifer
- The Namesake by Lahiri, Jhumpa
What are you reading right now? What do you think of my list? Have you read anything off my list? What did you think of it?