My friend Leslie made some delicious rice pudding!! I really like rice pudding and this is quite the flavorful and fragrant rice pudding.
I don’t know if I ever would have guessed her secret ingredient. It was the banana. The minute someone suggested it I noticed the flavor, but it is not an overpowering flavor. Then we had quite the conversation about the banana flavor, was it tenacious? Because it was long lasting but not pungent? 🙂
Rice Pudding (Kheerni)
This recipe is adapted from Food.com.
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk (separated)
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1/3 cup basmati rice
- 1/4 cup sliced almond
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped raw unsalted pistachios
1. Bring 3 cups whole milk and 3 cups coconut milk to boil in a heavy saucepan. Rinse rice with cold water until water runs clear. Drain. Stir rice into milk. Reduce heat and simmer until pudding thickens and rice is very tender, stirring frequently to keep from burning, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
2. Puree 1/4 cup milk and almonds in blender until smooth. Add banana, sugar and cardamom and blend. Pour into pudding. Rinse blender with remaining 1/4 cup milk and add to pudding. Continue simmering for 10 to 15 minutes to let thicken. Remove from saucepan and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
3. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios before serving.