I went to my parent’s house for a few days for the holiday. My mom and I made this yummy lasagna inspired dish! My dad loves it, so we will have it again. It is also really easy to freeze if you want to make it ahead of time. Just stop after step 5 and cover with aluminum foil and put in the freezer. When your ready to cook it: put it in the refrigerator for a while to defrost. And pesto! Dinner!
Stuffed Shells with Marinara Sauce
This recipe is adapted from Fix, Freeze, Take and Bake.
- 20ish shell noodles
- 1 pound ground beef or Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained
- 15 ounces marinara sauce
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cook shell noodles according to package directions. Rinse and cool under cold water, drain and set aside.
3. In a medium skillet, brown beef and drain off fat. Add garlic, cook until tender. Add mushrooms and sauce, simmer for 10 minutes before removing from heat.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, basil, oregano, and egg.
5. Pour about 1 cup sauce mixture in the bottom of a greased 9 by 13 pan. Spread evenly. Fill shell noodles, one at a time, with cheese mixture. Fill the pan with the stuffed noodles. Top with the remaining sauce mixture, make sure all the noodles are completely covered.
6. Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.