Hi! I’m Lane from Supper for a Steal. I’m excited to be posting over here today and sharing something a little different than I typically blog about. Usually you can find me menu planning and creating recipes around the weekly Publix ad, but today I am sharing a recipe I love, fried green tomatoes.
I was a little worried that green tomatoes would be hard to find this late in the season, but I was at a local produce market over the weekend and saw some beautiful, huge, green beefsteak tomatoes.
Being a southern girl I love all fried foods and fried green tomatoes are such a guilty pleasure when we go out to eat. When I stumbled across Southern Living’s fried green tomato recipe and saw how simple the ingredients were I knew they would be making an appearance in my kitchen soon.
We like to dip these in jalapeno ranch dressing for a little kick. With all that extra buttermilk you will have you could whip up a quick batch yourself.
Fried Green Tomatoes
Adapted from Southern Living via My Recipes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 large green tomato, sliced ¼ inch thick
- Vegetable oil
- Blue cheese crumbles, for garnish
- Green onion, for garnish
- Blue cheese dressing or ranch dressing, for dipping
1. Begin with three shallow, wide bowls. In one combine egg and buttermilk, in another ¼ cup flour, and in another ¼ cup flour, the cornmeal, salt, and pepper.
2. Dredge each tomato slice in flour, then dip in egg mixture, then cover with cornmeal mixture.
3. Set aside on a cooling rack while you continue with remaining slices
4. In a heavy bottomed skillet pour oil to cover bottom with about ¼ to ½ inch depth. Heat over medium high. Allow oil to heat up and carefully place tomatoes into the hot oil, cooking for 2 minutes per side.
5. Drain on a paper towel.
6. Top with blue cheese crumbles and chopped green onion for garnish.