My friend Kelzee made this delicious salad. It is full of flavor and amazing textures. It has tons of spices and a very complex flavor. Everyone loved it!
Does not that look like a wonderful picnic meal? It was just perfect.
Red Lentil Salad
This recipe was made by my friend Kelzee. She found it at the cooking channel.
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- a pinch coriander seeds
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup grated radish
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- pinch of salt and pepper
1. Toast the almonds in a heavy skillet over medium heat until they are golden and very aromatic, 5 to 6 minutes. Roughly chop them and set aside.
2. Put the lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Place over medium-high heat, bring to a boil and cook until they are just barely tender and still quite red, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water to halt the cooking process. Shake out all excess water, and then put the lentils into a large bowl.
3. Pour the oil into a skillet and, when it is hot, add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the garam masala, cumin, mustard, cardamom and coriander seeds and cook for 1 minute. Add the lime juice, and then pour over the lentils. Then add the carrots, radishes, red peppers, cilantro and mint. Season with salt and pepper and toss well to combine.