I love this so much! It has so much flavor. I have never made mushrooms that taste so good. And you have to have rice or something to soak up all of the wonderful sauce. It takes a little while to make. But it isn’t hard, just a little time consuming.
I highly recommend trying this. The recipe is perfect. I did not change any of the ingredients, only the wording. The guy who developed the recipe, Garrett McCord, blogs over at Vanilla Garlic. You should go check it out.
Sweet and Spicy Mushroom Stir Fry
This recipe is slightly adapted from Simple Recipes.
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing cooking wine or cooking sherry
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2-5 dried red chiles roughly chopped or 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons sesame, grapeseed, or other high smoke point oil, divided
- 2 pounds mushrooms (oyster, crimini, button, shitake, enoki, whatever) roughly chopped or quartered
- 1 1/2 cups of snow peas or snap peas, de-stringed
- toasted sesame seeds (optional)
1. First make the glaze and the sauce. To make the glaze, add all the ingredients and then whisk. Same thing for the sauce.
2. Next place 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet or wok over high heat. When the oil is glistening and a bead of water evaporates in under a second add the mushrooms and toss. Let the mushrooms cook until they get squeaky and start to loss their water. At that time add the glaze. Keep the stir fry on high heat until the glaze boils off, approx. 5-6 minutes. When there is barely any liquid left take the mushrooms off the heat and set them aside in a bowl.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining two tablespoons of oil. Put the garlic, ginger, and chilies in the skillet. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the peas and toss for about 30 more seconds.
4. Increase heat to high. Add the sauce and allow the mixture to come to a boil. The sauce will thicken considerable. Add the mushrooms back to the mixture and cook for about 20 seconds. Turn off the heat and serve over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds if you want.