I love soup!!! And I have never made anything with real pumpkin. Therefore, last time I went to the farmer’s market I decided to buy one. For some reason I was really nervous about cooking with a real pumpkin, but it was so easy! Just like squash, except bigger. I don’t know what else I am going to make with pumpkin. But, I definitely am going to use it more this fall!
This soup was really great. The coconut really mellows it out. I think next time I will not add the coconut milk. I liked it better before I added the coconut milk, because it was spicier. Now I know. But if I make it for my family I will need to add the coconut milk, because they can’t handle spicy food like me.
Roasted Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
This recipe is slightly adapted from Lovely Pantry.
- 1 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put pumpkin on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 40 minutes.
2. In medium saucepan add oil and spices. Cook for a minute or so and add broth and pumpkin. Use an immersion blender to combine until smooth.
3. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
4. Stir in coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.